Thursday 10 September 2009

The Wire #308


The latest issue of The Wire is out, with my cover feature on Broadcast plus Lou Reed, Dumitrescu, Dopplereffekt and more.

It was with great astonishment that I discovered my interview with Trish Keenan and James Cargill would entail a visit to Hungerford - one of my oldest haunts, and the last place I'd expect any group to relocate to. Up until the week of the interview I was sure they were based in Birmingham! A delightful alignment indeed, and I sincerely hope I have done the pair justice with my feature.

The forthcoming EP with The Focus Group, Witch Cults Of The Radio Age, is ridiculously good, still identifiably Broadcast yet taking place in its own pocket universe, where Keenan, Cargill and collaborator Julian House are free to model a world of their own design from fragments of folk, psychedelia, Radiophonics and more.